Legislation & Enforcement

United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Office of Noise Abatement and Control (ONAC), Noise Ordinances, Activism, Lobbying, Advocacy, Testimony, Rights, Enforcement.
Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:17 am
This section addresses grassroots lobbying efforts by members and organized groups for better legislation and noise code enforcement in communities. On the state level, it includes improved legislation on vehicular and industrial noise emissions.

On the federal level, lobbying the U.S. Congress to restore funding for the EPA's Office of Noise Abatement and Control (ONAC), originally created within the the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to oversee the impact of noise on the general public.
Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:00 pm
The problem I'm wondering how legislation can fix is the drive-by boomers. I see police pass them and not do a thing. Also, exhaust regs should mirror those enacted in NZ. Mods cannot be louder than stock and overall limits are based on total vehicle weight (no more pick-up trucks being louder than a dump truck).

Noise traps could generate lots of revenue like speed traps do. Repeat offenders need to pay an ever increasing price as well. Suburban streets are sounding like racetracks now (and we have an actual racetrack in the vicinity!). Legislation needs to deal with people who think everyone needs to hear their vehicle (adults wanting to make as much noise as they can as if putting playing cards in the spokes of their bikes as kids caused a sonic boom with each 'clack').

They outlawed "whislte tips" in CA a few years ago but I swear my neighbors would think it was their right to have them if it gave them an extra 1/2 HP.
Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:32 pm
Agreed with LanceThruster. :)

Something really needs to be doable/done against drive-by car boomers and other nasty noise makers.

The nastiest neighbor (renter) we had finally moved away, after almost a year of hell, between his car stereo and his home theater system (or some kind of subwoofer system, anyway).

So that's a relief, but not enough as there are way too many drive-bys who have nothing better to do than to bother people in their own home (and yes, i work at home, so i can't escape it, even part of the time).
Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:00 am
The city I live in has turned a deaf ear to the horrendous problem of audio assault. They can certainly use the money that ticketing these boomers would bring in but the police force doesn't have the man power to give out the tickets. I live on a busy corner and I might as well be living on a race track. It's a double whammy, I have all the souped up cars speeding by and then the boomers waiting at the corner to get on to the race track. I have been very proactive about this issue but as my city council rep tells me no one else seems to complain. No matter who I've complained to they tell me it's not a problem because they've only gotten two other complaints. There seems to be this magic number two. I've been told by a police captain that kids will be kids and the police force doesn't see this as a major problem.

Just in case anyone has ever thought of moving to San Jose, Ca, save your sanity and move somewhere else.
Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:51 am
Good News in my Massachusetts town...
a local person wanted to start a motocross racetrack and got 200 signatures
on a petition for a special town meeting to vote to modify bylaws.
Usually these special town meeting pass articles that would not get through
the annual town meeting. The bylaw change required a 2/3 majority.

About 200 pro-motocross people showed up for the meeting but the turn out
was about 650. It was the biggest turnout for a meeting in 40 years and
about 500 people voted AGAINST motocross. The motocross racetrack
proposal was voted down.

The main argument for the motocross was by a group of young mothers who
said "we are concerned for our children's safety. They would be safe at the
track; whereas otherwise they would be riding in the woods where they may
fall and no-one will know".

This argument caused me to pause, but then I remembered the boy who was
killed when he crashed when the motocross park was open on a trial basis.
Then I thought "if a parent was concerned about a child's safety, why would
she allow him to ride a motocross bike at all?"

It seems these young parents feel that a child must have everything they
want or they are a bad parent. This does not seem to be a good way to
parent, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, the people and neighbors who begged the voters to put an end to
motocross noise which they described as "horrendous" were overjoyed.
And the bikers and their parents were rowdy and ill mannered and in a
state of total surprise. :D

It was a good night for our town and gave me some hope as 400 loud bikers
pass my house each day during the summer and the noise is making me
crazy.

Also there are the boom box cars and the huge new pickups that have
added Dynaflow, Thrush, or Flowmaster mufflers which are strictly
recreational and make an angry growling noise that is sickening.

I found that you can go to the local autoparts store, Advance Auto parts
and they have a machine there where you can pick out and hear the muffler "tune"
you will create before you buy it. :cry:
Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:41 pm
Hopefully someone will invent and make available for sale something that will disable / jam / turn off the nasty stuff in a certain radius and/or could be aimed at the offending assault source to disable it.
Something silent (obviously), with no effect on humans, just targeting low frequency emitting devices.

I for one would buy one. And use it.

Also we need someone to invent a soundproofing material that would be effective against the bass wave, and either dissipate it by decreasing its wave length, reflecting it, converting the vibration energy to heat, or something.
And it should be affordable enough so that one could actually shield one's house to find relief and peace until the legislation and law enforcement get to have the means to address this sonic assault problem effectively and systematically.
Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 am
Jean-Luc LC wrote:
Hopefully someone will invent and make available for sale something that will disable / jam / turn off the nasty stuff in a certain radius and/or could be aimed at the offending assault source to disable it.
Something silent (obviously), with no effect on humans, just targeting low frequency emitting devices.

I for one would buy one. And use it.

Also we need someone to invent a soundproofing material that would be effective against the bass wave, and either dissipate it by decreasing its wave length, reflecting it, converting the vibration energy to heat, or something.
And it should be affordable enough so that one could actually shield one's house to find relief and peace until the legislation and law enforcement get to have the means to address this sonic assault problem effectively and systematically.

Those would be great ideas!! There has got to be a huge market for such products. If I could just put up a barrier around my yard to keep the bass from entering, I could save my sanity. Stupid question but here goes. Does bass travel through the air or ground?
Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:34 pm
I like the articles here. I have been doing a lot of research and the only way to solve big problems is getting to there source. I hate to say it but drug dealers love to spend big money on big items like homes, cars, and big stereos. The only way to solve this noise problem is to simply have the Federal Government push states to adapt a rule that Noise pollution of any kind over certain decuples needs to be regulated with special permits.

I love music and the most I have ever had was around 40 watts in a car. There is no need for beyond. However just for kick and giggles enforcing a permit program that having a stereo with over 500 watts or even selling any thing over 500 watts including power supplies would generate lots of income for states and federal. I have never seen a street person with a 500 watt stereo in there shopping cart. People that want to put a 1000 watt power supply in a car would have a very hard time convincing a judge what they need it.

Truckers need a big power supply to run refrigerators and other personal home needs. Just enforcing anything over 500 watts would only allow businesses with permits to install such devices. A person should be able to apply for a permit as easy as an auto registration. This is how easy it would be to cut down on the drug dealers at the same time. However the drug lords can easily target people that to win over them. Thus the only way is having some sort of national vote.