why aren't police departments ticketing boom cars?

Motorcycles with Straight Pipes, Boom Cars, Car Alarms, Semi Trucks with Engine Brakes, Off-Road Vehicles, Back-Up Alarms, Keyless Entry Sounds, Artificial Vehicle Sounds, Rumbler Sirens.
Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:55 am
Thanks for creating this web site and forum. Great work!

I live in Jamaica Plain in Boston, Massachusetts (born and raised in Flushing, Queens, NYC) and we have a horrible boom car problem here.

So, I've met with the police, read up on it (and discovered it's a problem around the world), and keep asking the question, why aren't police departments ticketing boom cars?

All towns, cities, and states have noise ordinances and, while I know police departments have lots to do (my dad was a cop and I have many police officers in my family), why has this problem been allowed to evolve to this level, where mobile sub woofers are shaking people inside their homes all over the globe?

It's not like the audio companies who are making the profits are donating a lot of money to police departments or civic entities...and towns, cities, and states could also clearly use the revenue given the recession by ticketing boom car owners whose audio exceeds allowed decibel levels (and having the tickets escalate in cost for repeat offenders). If they have that much money to spend on gigantic speakers, they must have the cash to pay for some fines. And maybe if people keep getting ticketed, people will stop trying to top each other with the volumes of their cars.

My guess is it's that police departments feel it would be like chasing cats to ticket them, but why do we have noise ordinances if they don't get enforced?

Why do you think police departments are not ticketing boom cars?
Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:41 pm
I can relate to your problem, Here in Sturbridge MA, the police are quite ineffectual on all fronts dealing with excessively noisy problem on the roadway's as well as local establishment parking lots. The constant din from car stereo bass booming above the television at it's highest setting. Motorcycles that rev their engine in a 30 mph posted area loud enough to make one's heart nearly stop. I have employed a video/video camera to record the noise generated by these offensive sound makers. Yet the Police here seem bent on allowing it to go uncontested. I believe that there are elements of the police that are directly involved with the problem. What I mean is, some of the cops in this town actually operate the vehicles that are a sound nuisance in the area where our residence is located. Have even run into a brick wall with State police as well. No one seems to want to do anything about this problem. Guess If someone started to take matters to the next level then the police would make an effort to get on it. Not against the noise makers but those who are tempted to deal with it themselves. I personally look forward to finding an attorney who shall step up to the plate, and use all the evidence that I've gathered thus far and sue local law enforcement. For all the stress, and strain.
Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:55 am
the reason car stereo's are not ticketed regularly comes down to two phrases, 'burden of proof' and 'innocent until proven guilty' . when the boom car guy gets a ticket, he goes to court and says 'judge, it wasn't my car the policeman heard. it was the car sitting next to me'. after five minutes of he said, she said with the cop. the judge throws the case out due to lack of evidence. after a couple of trips to court with the same results, the cop decides its a waste of time to even write the ticket.
Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:43 pm
I found that ordinances are only as good as the law enforcement that enforces it. Which basically means they suck at it and probably are noise makers themselves. Our local States Attorney pretty much told me he hasn't made any friends due to what he has to do and therefore he wouldn't be able to help me with my problem if he wanted to be re-elected. So we know where their priorities are.
I wished I had more people like you closer to us here and we could all get together and approach County Commissioners and law- enforcement about this. Maybe then we would get something done. As long as we are single individuals trying to fight this we are pretty much screwed.
I have turned from a fun loving person into a hater and I hate myself for it because I feels o helpless and ignored.
Please let me know what you did if anything to help this issue.
Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:47 am
I need to stop complaining and see how we can motivate police departments to ticket these cars. I've created a change.org petition. Please sign and share with your friends, family, and neighbors who are also being driven crazy by boom cars! Let's get millions of people to sign this, present to our local police departments, and inspire some real action!

http://www.change.org/petitions/police- ... ecessarily

thanks for your help!
Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:12 pm
It is very difficult to organize noise advocacy through online petitions. When I created an online petition I thought that thousands of people would sign it, but nothing could have been further from what happened. I closed the petition after six months and moved on to other kinds of action. There are tech companies that provide advocacy software and help groups target specific people in government about issues. These can be effective, but expensive. A better use of your time would be to organize locally and identify responsive people in local government. The Strategy Guide section of this site at http://www.noiseoff.org/guide.php is a good resource for this.

Additionally, the Noise Free America Yahoo discussion group has a lot of participants who are actively dealing with the issue of boom cars. You can access information about the group through the web site http://www.noisefree.org. If you join the discussion group, you can post to the group or contact people privately, and you can access archived discussions for information.

Another way to identify allies is to set up a table with literature and a sign-up sheet. This is also a good setting for a hard-copy petition. The best petitions have one specific recipient or a small number of recipients. It is possible to collect petition signatures addressing a recipient who has agreed to work with you on the issue. If you collect signatures with a hard-copy petition or sign-up sheet, you can identify activists who may not be online, or who don’t pursue this kind of interest online.

It is very difficult to rally sustained support for a noise issue and I am always impressed by people who manage to do so. I learned through my own effort that people working on one noise issue may be dismissive and even insulting about other noise issues. Part of this is that we internalize stereotypes about people who complain about noise.
We may feel as if we have to prove the legitimacy of our own complaint. When we ignore or dismiss other noise complaints and say “that doesn’t bother me” we use
a kind of machismo to distance ourselves from stereotypes, and wind up reinforcing the idea that noise is not a serious issue.

I wish you luck with your effort. The decision to take action is always a good one.
Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:06 pm
draggin breath wrote:
the reason car stereo's are not ticketed regularly comes down to two phrases, 'burden of proof' and 'innocent until proven guilty' . when the boom car guy gets a ticket, he goes to court and says 'judge, it wasn't my car the policeman heard. it was the car sitting next to me'. after five minutes of he said, she said with the cop. the judge throws the case out due to lack of evidence. after a couple of trips to court with the same results, the cop decides its a waste of time to even write the ticket.

If there is someone in your neighborhood who is annoying you with their car then you have the time to take pictures/videos of their behavior and you possibly could get the police involved to ticket one or two cars.

Getting them to patrol main st. just to harass drivers whose stereos are too loud is going to take more influence than just an online petition.