The truth inre to vehicular noise enforcement

Motorcycles with Straight Pipes, Boom Cars, Car Alarms, Semi Trucks with Engine Brakes, Off-Road Vehicles, Back-Up Alarms, Keyless Entry Sounds, Artificial Vehicle Sounds, Rumbler Sirens.
Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:49 am
Hi Larry, I entered into this fight a couple of years ago after transferring back to the street from a 19.5 year hiatus in the Air Support Division. Though I had watched the proliferation of vehicular noise makers run rampant in Houston over those years, I was not in a position to actively enforce the laws available to address the situation.

While serving as a pilot for the PD, I did public-service the Department of Public Safety and ask some State Troopers why these bikes were allowed to operate with exceptionally loud exhaust mechanisms...exhaust systems that can be heard for a half mile and more. The Troopers agreed with me that there was certainly a problem but they felt powerless to address the situation. The Troopers were obviously not interested in addressing the problem and do as most officers have done relevant to excessive vehicular noise...NOTHING!!!

I don't think the average American is really aware of how pervasive the vehicular noise problem actually is. Nor does society understand how deeply entrenched the motivation behind this behavior has become. If you had the opportunity to speak with the operators of loud motorcycles, cars and trucks; if you took the time to look into their eyes and attempt to reason with them, you would see the emptiness there...a true sense of "I don't get it," "leave me alone," "it's my life and I will do as I please," "who the h--- are you to tell me what to do?"

The problem of vehicular noise goes much deeper than most anyone can fathom. This is not simply a law problem, it's a behavior problem, a behavior problem that has been reinforced by years of societal permissiveness born of and nurtured by a relativistic ideology. In other words, moral relativism, the predominant philosophy of 21st century America, tells us that we are our own god, we intrinsically have the right to do whatever it is we want to do with our own body. No one, not your neighbor, your preacher or priest or the establishment has the right to restrict you from pleasuring yourself. What's good for Bob is good for Bob and Joe has absolutely no right or authority to limit Bob if Bob makes the determination that his actions are necessary for his self gratification.

This philosophical perspective may sound ridiculous to some, but I challenge you to look around you. Moral relativism is at the root of practically every behavior that is currently weakening the structural integrity of this once great Nation. We can't construct prisons fast enough, the abortionist does not have enough hours in a day, we can't pay the interest on our national debt, 5% of the population actually supports the other 95%, Nietzche's heretical God is Dead philosophical perspective is alive and well, racial hatred is growing at an exponential rate, the family has been replaced by perversion, male femininity is common place, lesbianism is deemed normal, sexually transmitted diseases infect millions, ,..just look around you people.

The behavior we seek to change is entrenched in a philosophical perversion that will not be adequately addressed by legislation or law enforcement alone, though these tactics are a good beginning. Forced or legislated morality has a very limited impact on a "free society," especially when that society has adopted a perverted definition of "freedom."
Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:25 am
So you are going to cure society by limiting noisy motorcycles?
Good luck.
Society has had problems since the beginning of time. I think you are taking thing a bit to far by holding noisy motorcycles in the same category as abortion, and national debt.
Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:05 pm
Noisy motorcycles are illegal. There are actually laws that recognize that. We don't have to wait until they threaten world destruction before we enforce the laws that apply to them. All we have to do is make sure motorcycles are operated legally and quietly. That may not solve the national debt or major world problems, but it will make the world we live in a little quieter and worth living in.
Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:20 am
Excellent point, Shepherdone. You have nailed it on the head. This noise problem is because we are a degenerate society. I knew it was always connected, but you have spelt it out precisely. This degenerate society doent know that the bible says, "consider others as more important than yourselves". In other words, this post- Christian society doesnt even understand the basic golden rule. However, it is against the law, and since we are a republic and not a democracy, there is still no excuse for teh police not soliciting these offenders. These big pickup trucks we have around here can be heard MILES and MILES away, and I am not exaggerating. But there was a law passed in 1972 or 75 or something, and a law is still in effect until repealed or modified. So, I am pissed anyway, because the cops do nothing.
Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:29 am
I am so very SICK of people defending the scumbags who choose to operate loud vehicles. And I'm just as sick of people acting like I am the one who is wrong and out of line.

As I write this, I can barely keep my bloodshot eyes open. I was woken up an hour ago at 5:20 AM by what I know to have been a loud motorcycle. I had also been woken up at around 2:30 AM, but that time, I managed to get back to sleep. This time, I just can't. This has started recently as the weather started to become accommodating to motorcycle riding.

All week, I have been very tired because of this. As a direct result, I have been underperforming at work, and have been irritable and engaging in arguments with my loved ones. And of course, it just feels lousy to be tired all the time.

And some people excuse this? "It's a free country"? "They have every right to operate the vehicle of their choosing"?

Where is my right to a decent life? To a sound night's sleep? Are people actually telling me that a person's right to modify a motor vehicle overrides my right to quality of life?

This problem has been going on for years and it is getting so bad that I am considering doing something horrifically violent. I have engaged the police, but they sat on the street one time, said they heard nothing, and so did nothing. They talked to some of my neighbors, and apparently none of them reported being bothered.

I guess I am a light sleeper, it's true. I do wear ear plugs, but I get woken up just the same. Typically, three times every single night for which the following day is predicted to be rain-free and warm. (Roughly at 2:00 AM, 4:00 AM, and 6:00 AM.) When rain is very likely, I am graciously granted a reprieve and am allowed to sleep.

What can I do?
Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:55 am
Miserable, we live in a county with criminals like Obama running it, and a very lazy, stupid, degernerate, apathetic genereal public. Dont expect anyone to come to your aid. It is going to get worse before it gets better when it comes to laws, enforcement, etc. You need to take immediate action. You need to do what I did. I was living in a town full of drug users and drug dealers who blasted me away. Yes, I sold the house and moved away; far away. You need to sell and move. They win. They have Obama and the rest of the crooks protecting and aiding them. They have their drugs shipped in for them, You need to just get the hell away from people. Move way out into the countryside. I am using dial-up internet. You know why? Because I live in the middle of nowhere. Now I get blasted by boom cars 2 or 3 times a day instead of hundreds of times a day. Ive got a moron up the road who wakes me up with his boom pickup truck every day at 7:30 in the morning, and then the little fucker drives home at night and blasts me a 2nd time. Yeah, it sucks, but its a hell of a lot batter than the constant bombardment of noise I was going through in Lehigh Acres FL. And it sounds like you need to get out of where you are too. Way in the country, the price of land is cheaper. It wont be perfect, but it will be much better. You can get acrage out here for cheap. Thats what you need to do. If you cant do that, the other option is to build a bomb shelter and go sleep in that at night. We both know what the 3rd option is, but It may be illegal for me to suggest it so I wont, and it will only end you in jail anyway, because the government cares more about the lives of drug using bass zombies than yours.
Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:36 pm
I have found that not only do ear plugs not resolve the issue, they make some types of noise worse. Low frequencies go right through the structure of the house, right into my head. Ear plugs are irrelevant to them. The noise from scumbag Harleys do this, and of course scumbag bass music blasters do the same. I imagine that venturing into a subterranean level would ironically make these types of noises worse.

As far as the third option, oh yes, I wish they would suspend laws for a day. I feel rotten EVERY SINGLE DAY and fear for losing my job because I just cannot focus when I am extremely tired all the time.

Moving is not an option for me. We're sinking a fortune into home improvements (my wife's demand, not mine), and I don't think there is anywhere I could go anyway. For me the main problem is getting woke up. Yes, these scumbags do irritate the hell out of me during the day sometimes (I have actually had to pause conversations while they go by), but the main issue is getting woke up. Even one time at night will ruin my entire next day. Take last night for example. A scumbag woke me up at 2:30 AM, and that was it--wide awake, good morning, enjoy feeling rotten.

I'm glad there at least are people who seem to hate these scumbags as much as I do. Normally, all I encounter are people who tell me that *I* am the one who is wrong. This drives me insane.
Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:08 pm
I have a different take on why gratuitous noise pollution isn't being addressed. Actually I seem to recall loud Harleys and rolling mega-woofers existing before Obama arrived in the White House!

Sound level meters may have come down in price (mine cost about $25 on eBay and my iPhone SLM app cost just $3.99), but unattended monitoring over longer time frames remains expensive. If you wanted to catch the offending Harley with an SLM, you would have to stand out there at all hours. You really aren't going to do that, am I right?

I live not far from a community college that is expanding aggressively with near-constant construction. The adjacent neighborhood has an active association that prevailed on the college to put in some noise monitoring stations. Well, those things cost $5 to 10K per station to get started. They are attended by consulting engineers who write and post monthly reports. One of the monitoring stations was stolen. Add all those things up and this noise monitoring project has undoubtedly cost the taxpayers somewhere between $100K and a million over its lifespan which now approaches ten years.

A lot of noise monitoring projects that ideally should be done, never will be at those prices. Offenders have simply gotten used to operating with impunity and feel unjustly persecuted when anyone speaks out. If you think modern times are to blame, a century ago my great uncle was a forest ranger trying to stop illegal grazing on national forests. He was up against the same attitudes as contemporary noise polluters, basically "Mind your own damn business!"

It's now technologically feasible to have much cheaper noise monitoring devices, collecting data that can be uploaded to an ordinary PC and extensively analyzed, as well as saving recording clips of loud incidents. Thumb-drive size recorders that can be bought for ~$10 on eBay are a kind of prototype. They aren't quite optimized for noise monitoring, but they certainly illustrate interesting possibilities. Another approach could be to re-purpose cell phones. They have all the hardware: microphone, digitizer, CPU, flash memory, rechargeable batteries with substantial capacity. Most people replace their phones every year or every couple years. The cast-offs are just roadkill on the way to landfills or toxic recycling operations in China. So let's put them to use!

Giving ordinary folks and neighborhood associations easily affordable tools to address noise pollution could be a real game changer.
Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:28 am
Well Miserable, it seems like your wife is the problem in your life right now if she is holding you back from doing what needs to be done. If you cant move then perhaps you need to use some of that renovation money for your own health instead of new bathroom cabinets. Try making a noise proof box to sleep in. I will give you instructions below.
It should help keep out a lot of noise including engine noise, but probably wont help with boom cars bass. The reason why you cant fall asleep when you get woken up is because youre so pissed off when you get woken, and getting pissed makes your bllod boil so you cant fall asleep. You also cant fall asleep because youre scared of being woken again.

Instructions:
It will need to be made of 3/4" plywood. The plywood will need to be double layered and seperated by standard 2x4s. The outside of the box will need to be completely covered with sound cushioning material, the kind used in studios. This will absorb a lot of the noise, and then the noise will have to pass through your double 3/4" ply-wall. You will also need a doorway and need to make a little door in addition to installing a fan to suck out air and a vent on the other side of the box to bring in air, so you dont suffocate. The vent can be attached to a pipe which goes through a box addition to keep noise away from it as well.

I havent made the box myself but as a designer, belive me, I thought about it quite a bit. I decided to make the underground storm shelter instead even though I havent started it yet.