Noisy neighbors in Phoenix

Noisy Neighbors & Businesses, Barking Dogs, Strategy, Landlords, HOAs, Apartment Managers, Police, Litigation.
Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:45 am
Curious if there is anybody on this forum working on tougher noise legislation in Phoenix, as I'm interested in joining the fight. My reading of the statutes seems to show there is a willingness to get tough but things need to be clarified. In addition to the out-dated "no loud noise, especially between 11 and 7" law, I see a more recent "loud party" ordinance that imposes an $1000 fine AND finally states: "There are no “allowable” times during the day or night." Also Maricopa County Sheriff's Office has their own ordinance which says it's a crime if your noise can be heard inside any other house within 500 feet. Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to take the best of each ordinance and make one simple law that makes it is a crime if, at any time, your noise can be heard in someone else's home. Obviously "noise" would be sensibly defined - a boom car being used as a home-stereo versus the sound of a vehicle driving down the street, etc.

Arizona cracked down on DUI by introducing a profit motive - do the same with noise and the Police will be more than willing get involved.
Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:20 pm
Hi MRX
I live in Buckeye, but used to live in Phoenix. I have been trying to find someone in
the Phoenix area for years. I have been contacting my public officials, calling the
police and writing emails for years to no avail. When I lived in south Phoeinix, I
tried to organize the HOA to get involved, but they weren't interested and treated
me like I was a nut job. I move out of that neighborhood to an adult community
in Buckeye, but can't escape the boom car noise.
The town council here is just as unresponsive as the officials in Phoenix, and the
ordinance here is just a useless. The Police here are just as debilitated by the
language of the law as they are in Phoenix. In the three years that I have been
trying to find anyone to help get a movement started I have not found one single
person that wants to do anything. Without exception, I have been met with hostility
and mockery whenever I mention the issue of noise. Life looks pretty bleak right now.
Regards,
William
Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:25 pm
Hi William - sorry to hear about your situation. We're giving up on downtown and moving back to north side. Our Realtor is going to earn his money as I refuse to have neighbors again. My wife told him that I'd be happy with a house built in between lanes on the 101! Maybe the solution is to move to a city that takes this stuff seriously - some towns confiscate cars and destroy boom equipment.

It's true that people who have never experienced this problem think we are nuts. Every so often I run into someone else that has experienced bad neighbors and they understand the nightmare.
Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:26 am
Hey mrx,
You wrote that you were looking for someone in Phoenix working on the noise issue
and you want to join the fight. I'm here in the Phoenix area fighting for peace and
would welcome some help.
William